40 minutes 4-6 people
By Doreen Colondres
What you need:
- Lasagna pasta
- 8oz. grated mozzarella cheese
For the meat:
- 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef, (85/15 or 90/10)
- 1 white onion, small diced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 pear tomatoes, small diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp. flour, all-purpose
- 2 tbsp. butter, unsalted
- 2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (or more)
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
What you need to do:
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Boil the pasta in a large pot with salted water. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked al dente (cooked but firm to the bite) Remove the pasta and set aside on a plate.
- In a medium-high saucepan, add olive oil and sauté the onions for 2-3 minutes. Then add the tomatoes, the garlic and sauté for 5 more minutes; keep stirring.
- Add the beef and sauté for 3 minutes. Add wine, stir and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, cover and cook for 10 min. in low temperature.
- In a blender, mix the milk and the cilantro until smooth. Then bring the milk to a small pot and keep it to low temperature.
- In another saucepan in med-high temperature, melt the butter. Once you see bubbles, add the flour. Using a whisk or wooden spatula, stir well for 1-2 minutes to cook the flour well.
- Add the milk little by little and stir. Decrease the heat to medium temperature and cook while stirring for 8-10 minutes. Before removing from the heat, season with a pinch of salt, pepper, nutmeg, and parmesan.
- Then, in a greased baking pan, add a layer of pasta, then meat with a little bit of sauce on top and repeat. The last layer should be a bed of sauce and mozzarella cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, covered with foil, until the cheese has melted. If you like to color it, leave the last minutes uncovered.
- Serve with an avocado arugula salad and it will be memorable.