5 minutes 2 people
By Doreen Colondres
In my country Puerto Rico, we love a flavorful oatmeal in the mornings. And this coconut version is one of my family’s favorite. Definitively a delicious and healthy way to start your day.
What you need:
- 3/4 cup of instant oatmeal, plain
- 1 cup 2% low fat milk (or water)
- 1 cup coconut milk, canned or fresh
- 2 tbsp. coconut flakes
- 1 1/4 tbsp. cane sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract (pure and natural)
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, more optional
- Garnish with coconut flakes, raisins and/or banana
What you need to do:
- In a medium pot, add the milk, salt, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and bring to a medium high heat temperature, stir for 1 minute.
- Add the oatmeal and cook for 2-4 more minutes, stir constantly until thickens.
- Before serving add the coconut flakes, stir and serve.
- Garnish with more cinnamon and/or coconut flakes. Strawberries, almond or banana can be also added.